SIDEBAR
E
B
A
R
Muffnuts
July 6th, 2010 by Alexis

A while back I was pondering one of nature’s biggest mysteries… the doughnut. I thought to myself that there must be a way to recreate the donut at home, in a somewhat healthier manner. I.E. Not fried.

Don’t get me wrong, I love a classic fried doughnut, but they’re really only worth all that evil fattiness if they’re fresh. And I’m not in the habit of getting up at the crack of dawn, which makes getting fresh ‘nuts from the local donut shop hit or miss. Usually miss.

It didn’t take long to find a recipe for a donut-muffin hybrid. A doffin, a duffin, a monut, a muffnut. Call it what you will, I was intrigued.

Last night, having a hankering for something sweet, I decided to test drive the muffnut, and I can tell you, it passed with flying colors.

Behold... the MUFFNUT!

Here’s the recipe, originally from Baking Bites.

(I love the explanations in the recipe. I’m a habitual fiddler when it comes to recipes, so I appreciate someone telling me why I should not fiddle with certain aspects beforehand.)

NOTE: After a lot of comments from other muffnut testers, I thought I should point out that these muffnuts are most similar to cake donuts. If you’re expecting a Krispy Kreme style yeast donut, you’ll probably be disappointed.

Cinnamon Sugar Muffnuts

• 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I used 1 cup white and 1/2 cup white whole wheat with excellent results)
  • 2 tsp baking power
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (fresh! oh yeah!)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

(for rolling)

• 1 TB butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional… you can mix it up and try different spice combos, too!)

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together sugar and egg until light in color, about 1 minute.
  3. Mix in the oil, milk, and vanilla.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Pour into egg mixture and stir to combine. A few lumps are okay.
  5. Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
  6. Bake for 14-18 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
  7. While muffins are baking, melt butter and pour remaining 1/2 cup of sugar into a small bowl. Mix in the cinnamon.
  8. When muffins are done, lightly brush the top of each with some melted butter, remove from the pan and roll in sugar.
  9. Cool on a sheet of parchment paper. (I cooled mine on a wire rack like the original recipe stated, and they kind of stuck. Boo.)

Fresh out of the oven, they are nice and crispy on the outside, very much like a donut.

The next day, they’re softer… and somehow they taste even more like a donut, to me.

I can’t wait until fall, because I’ll be experimenting with apple and pumpkin muffnuts, and replacing the coffee with my favorite donut companion, apple cider.

11 Responses
  • WickedBadNaughty writes:
    July 6th, 20103:42 pmat

Ooooo! This recipe looks good! I shall have to add this to my recipe-to-do list. };))

• STellarCheri writes:
    July 6th, 20103:54 pmat

YUM! This seems like a pretty healthy recipe! I think i may try it! Thanks for sharing!!

• Pili writes:
    July 6th, 20106:16 pmat

Okay, now this recipe has been added to my baking stash of things to make!! They sound absolutely delicious!

• Alexis writes:
    July 7th, 20109:05 pmat

I wish I’d gotten a better picture, but I can only stop eating for so long…

I hope you guys try them and like them!

• totallycooked writes:
    July 8th, 20104:04 amat

went straight home and made them last night – I love donuts but hate deep frying stuff. Sadly, the last two muff-nuts are sitting on my desk for lunch – my family loved them too.
    they were so quick to make that I may even make some more tonight :)

• Alexis writes:
      July 8th, 20105:12 pmat

They do go quick… ours might have gone faster than real donuts!

Glad you liked them!

• CDChyld writes:
    July 11th, 20103:15 pmat

Oh my. I’m definitely gonna have to try this soon :)

• Deb writes:
    July 14th, 20106:28 amat

i made them last night! they turned out really good but i think i’d have to sugar glaze the tops of them to really get the donut taste i was looking/hoping for. the butter/cinnamon/sugar was tasty but i really wanted a donut when it was all said and done!

• Alexis writes:
      August 10th, 201011:20 pmat

Mr. Smarmy is a sugar glazed person, too, so he was not quite as impressed as I was with them.

• Chessie writes:
    August 9th, 201012:20 pmat

I finally got around to making these this morning. I have to say they are amazing, but I have some suggestions for the recipe as well. Like you, Alexis, I am a habitual fiddler. If you like pumpkin as much as I do, then you’ve probably tried pumpkin bread. This reminded me so much of that. If you want pumpkinlicious muffnuts, add a little more flour (not more than 1/8 c, okay maybe you could add up to 1/4 c just make sure your batter isn’t too thick) and instead of using 1/4 c of oil, use anywhere from 1/4 c to 1/3 c of pumpkin puree and maybe a tiny bit of oil. (Like… a tablespoon of it.) Also before I put them in the oven, I sprinkled some quick cooking oatmeal on top of each muffnut along with a pinch of plain cinnamon. They came out fantastic! ^_^
    I almost never measure anything out to perfection, that’s why there are so many estimated amounts in my fiddled with version. I cook a lot and that’s what happens when I experiment.

• Alexis writes:
      August 10th, 201011:12 pmat

Thanks so much for that, I can not WAIT to make a batch of pumpkin!